CPI-M lambasts IUML over marriage for minor girls
Thiruvananthapuram: The Communist Party of India-Marxist on Monday flayed the move by Muslim organisations in the state to appeal to the Supreme Court to allow minor Muslim girls to marry.
The Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party and the Communist Party of India had on Sunday slammed the decision of the Muslim organisations to approach the Supreme Court with a plea to allow marriage of minor Muslim girls.
The leaders of the nine organisations met in Kozhikode on Friday, and nominated K Bapu Musaliyar as the chairman and Indian Union Muslim League leader CP Mayin Haji as the convenor of a newly-formed samiti (collective) to approach the apex court.
Addressing reporters here on Monday, CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan put the blame for the whole issue on the Indian Union Muslim League (a party in coalition with the ruling Congress in the state) for this move.
"The IUML is expecting to ride on (the wave of) communal consolidation through this, and it is nothing but a political move ahead of the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls," Vijayan said.
Leader of Opposition in the State Assembly VS Achuthanandan lambasted the IUML, saying he found it disgusting and could not bring himself to even speak of the matter, for the demand was that the age for being legally married be lowered from the present 18 years not just to 16, but to 14.
"It is better not to speak of their culture," Achuthanandan said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened