CPI-M leader Mani skips date with police
Idukki: CPI-M leader M M Mani, facing criminal charges for his controversial speech in which he stated the party had eliminated its foes in the past, on Wednesday failed to comply with police summons to appear before investigators.
Instead, his lawyers turned up before the investigation team at Thodupuzha in the district and told them the CPI-M leader had already approached the Kerala High Court for quashing the FIR against him, police sources said.
The CPI-M Idukki district secretary had on Tuesday filed a petition in Kerala High Court with a plea to quash the FIR drawn up by police, charging him in three cases on the basis of his speech at a public meeting at Thodupuzha recently.
His speech had deeply embarrassed the party leadership, already passing through a convulsive phase with a flare up in internal commotions and coming under a shadow in the wake of the murder of Marxist rebel TP Chandrasekharan.
Some CPI-M workers from north Kerala were arrested in connection with the brutal killing of Chandrasekharan, who floated rebel outfit Revolutionary Marxist Party after his expulsion from the parent party.
Mani had said the party in the 1980s drew up a list of political rivals in Idukki district and eliminated three of them. Ironically, he made the "disclosure" at a public meeting called to explain to party workers and sympathisers that CPI-M had no involvement in the killing of Chandrasekharan.
With his speech triggering a political storm in Kerala and outside, police registered cases against him as a prelude to re-investigate some of the cases referred to by Mani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly