CPI-M not working for third front: Karat
Thrissur: Ruling out any effort by it for a third front for Lok Sabha elections, CPI-M on Thursday said it would however strive for a Left democratic alternative of regional parties for `adjustments`.
The front would only be a temporary arrangement based on (seat) `adjustments and tactics` as part of the party`s electoral strategy, CPIM General Secretary Prakash Karat told reporters here.
Certain regional parties would not be fit to be included permanently in the proposed alternative front in view of their divergent policies and programmes, he added.
Replying to a question on a new non-Congress non-BJP front proposed by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, he said no discussion in this regard had been held in CPI-M.
Karat, however, asserted "the question of having an alliance with the Trinamool Congress does not arise at all. Several CPM activists in West Bengal have been attacked by the Trinamool Congress workers," he said.
On West Bengal CPI-M leaders` reported idea of supporting the Congress on the lines of the UPA-I, he dismissed it as "a figment of imagination by the mediamen.
Earlier, Karat delivered the inaugural address on ? Left Alternative for Indian Economy, Political Democracy and Society? at nearby Ayyanthole in connection with the 104th birth anniversary of late party veteran E M S Namboodiripad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened