CPI-M to form panel to study tribal health problems
Palakkad: CPI(M) will be forming a panel under public health expert Dr B Ikbal to study the health problems of tribal population in the Attappady areas of Palakkad district, in the backdrop recent deaths of several infants due to malnutirion.
This was disclosed by CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan after visiting some of tribal hamlets in the area, where malnutrition deaths had been reported in recent weeks.
After studying the issue in depth, the panel would draw up some recommendations and submit them to the government for follow-up action, Vijayan told reporters.
Vijayan said the UDF Government had failed to tackle the issue seriously even after it had become evident that the tribes people in the area were victims of failure in providing public health services like pre and post delivery care to mothers and children.
Also, the victims` familes had not been sufficiently compensated, he said. At least five infants had died in the area mainly due to malnutrion in the last two months.
Taking a serious note of the matter, the Government had recently held a high level meeting to step up healthcare services in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites