CPI MLAs told to donate minister`s gift to public institutions
Thiruvananthapuram: With the offer of TV as a gift to MLAs by Kerala Agriculture Minister K P Mohan triggering a row, CPI today asked its legislators to turn over the sets they received to a public institution of their choice.
The party also mandated its legislators not to accept gifts offered by ministers.
"We feel that it is a wrong practice. Some say this is not the first time that a minister has given a gift to MLAs and there had been precedents. But it is a wrong precedent," CPI state secretary Pannian Raveendran told a press meet here.
Last week, opposition leader V S Achutanandan had returned the gift holding it would not be morally right to spend public money on largesses like this when the state was reeling under a grim drought with people facing severe drinking water crunch in many parts of the state.
Achuthanandan`s action had caused some embarrassment to his colleagues in the CPI(M) and for the LDF as a whole as some of the party leaders have justified acceptance of the gift saying there nothing unusual about it.
Mohan, who belongs to the Socialist Janata (Democratic), had sought to playdown the controversy saying there was nothing new about giving gifts to legislators.
The Minister`s largesse had drawn adverse coverage in local media with a section criticising the wisdom of spending a few lakhs of rupees from the public exchequer at a time government has to make additional provisions for tackling an unusually serious drought gripping the state.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof