CPI-M`s district meets begin
Thiruvananthapuram: Ahead of the 20th party
congress of the CPI-M to be held in Kozhikode in April next
year, the district conferences of the party got underway with
the delegates meeting in Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode
Apart from organisational issues, the meetings would take
stock of the international, national and state-level political
and economic issues.
Inaugurating the district meet here, CPI(M) veteran V S
Achuthanandan said economic and political situations all over
the world reflect the continued relevance of socialism.
He said the developments in Europe and the United States
have exposed the deep crisis faced by the capitalist
"In America, people are hitting the street as the crisis
gripping its economy is graver than the great depression
of 1930s," he said.
Instead of learning lessons from the crisis in the
Western World, the UPA Government had been aggressively
pushing policies of globalisation and privatisation without
bothering their severe consequences to the common mass, he
The Kozhikode district meet was inaugurated by the party
politbureau member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan at Mukkam.
Ahead of the district conferences, meetings had been
completed in branch, local and area committees.
The state conference is scheduled to be held in the state
capital in February next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter