CPI(M) calls for building Left-democratic alternative
Kozhikode: Charging the Congress and BJP with
harming the country`s interests by pushing neo-liberal
policies, the 20th CPI(M) party Congress began here today with
a call to build an alternative of Left and democratic forces
to address the problems being faced by the country and people.
"People are looking for an alternative. The Left and
democratic parties alone could provide such an alternative,"
CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat said inaugurating the
party`s all-India meet being attended by over 700 delegates.
Stressing that opposing neo-liberal policies would be a
"central task" of the party, Karat said both BJP and Congress
were pursuing the same policies and there was nothing to
choose between them as far as corruption was concerned.
Both the Congress-led UPA and BJP-led NDA have "failed" to
address vital issues like price rise and food security and
their economic policies had cast a huge burden on common
people in the last two decades, the CPI(M) veteran said.
"We, with other Left and secular democratic parties, will
be launching joint struggle against these policies", he said.
He said the foreign policy of the Manmohan Singh Government
of fostering strategic alliance with the US as its focus was
"inimical" to the country`s sovereign interests.
Referring to the electoral reverses suffered by the party
in West Bengal and Kerala, he said the party Congress would
examine and identify the faults and correct them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!