CPI(M) deplores protests against Vishwaroopam
Thiruvananthapuram: Deploring protests staged against screening of Kamal Haasan`s movie `Vishwaroopam` in parts of Kerala, CPI(M) on Friday said demand for ban on the film was sheer intolerance that went against spirit of democracy.
"Kamal Haasan is an artist who has always upheld humanist and secular values. He has stated that his film is meant to unite people by sending the message of love and not to foster hatred by showing any community in poor light. It would be better leave it to the people to see and judge the film, instead of clamouring for its ban," CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan said in a statement here.
Kamal Haasan had made it clear that his film did not contain any expression that would hurt religious or racial sentiments. Moreover, the film was allowed to screen after the Censor Board certifying it, the CPI(M) leader said.
Slamming the protests staged by certain organisations in parts of Kerala, Vijayan said unleashing violence against the film with the motive of silencing the artist only betrayed the "fascist mindset."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming