CPI(M) in Kerala ends land rights struggle
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI(M) in Kerala has called off its fortnight-long land rights struggle accepting the assurance of the Congress-led UDF government that it would expedite the process of distributing surplus land to all the landless families across the state.
The settlement was reached at talks held by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy with CPI(M) leaders here last night.
CPI(M) leaders claimed that the campaign was a big success as it had brought the Government around to agree to the central demand of the struggle which saw hundreds of party cadres and sympathisers identifying the surplus land holdings in the first phase and then pitching huts in them later.
Besides Chandy, Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash also took part in talks held with CPI(M) leaders E P Jayarajan, M V Govindian, A Vijayaraghavan and K Radhakrishan.
The government reiterated its commitment to provide at least three cents of land for all those landless in the holdings identified as `excess land` under the Land Reforms Act, which set a ceiling of 15 acres as the maximum extent of holding to be kept in possession by a family.
As the first phase of the assignment process, land would be distributed to at least one lakh families by Independence Day this year.
Party cadres and activists of feeder outfits had gathered in strength in all the 14 districts across the state as part of the stir launched on January 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!