CPI(M) in Kerala ends land rights struggle
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI(M) in Kerala has called off its fortnight-long land rights struggle accepting the assurance of the Congress-led UDF government that it would expedite the process of distributing surplus land to all the landless families across the state.
The settlement was reached at talks held by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy with CPI(M) leaders here last night.
CPI(M) leaders claimed that the campaign was a big success as it had brought the Government around to agree to the central demand of the struggle which saw hundreds of party cadres and sympathisers identifying the surplus land holdings in the first phase and then pitching huts in them later.
Besides Chandy, Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash also took part in talks held with CPI(M) leaders E P Jayarajan, M V Govindian, A Vijayaraghavan and K Radhakrishan.
The government reiterated its commitment to provide at least three cents of land for all those landless in the holdings identified as `excess land` under the Land Reforms Act, which set a ceiling of 15 acres as the maximum extent of holding to be kept in possession by a family.
As the first phase of the assignment process, land would be distributed to at least one lakh families by Independence Day this year.
Party cadres and activists of feeder outfits had gathered in strength in all the 14 districts across the state as part of the stir launched on January 1.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday