CPI(M) leader Mani denies making controversial spe
Munnar: After running into controversy again, CPI(M) leader MM Mani on Sunday strongly refuted having made a speech two days back in which he purportedly said the party was involved in the murder of an INTUC leader in Idukki district.
Mani`s denial came a day after Malayalam television channels aired an audio of the speech purportedly made by him at a public meeting at Pathammile near here last week.
"This is totally untrue....I never said that we (CPI-M workers) were involved in the killing of Balu (a local INTUC functionary... The audio put out by channels are fake," Mani asserted at a press meet here today.
Mani, who was removed as CPI(M)`s Idukki district secretary and suspended from the state committee in the backdrop of a speech that embarrassed the party in May last, accused a section of the media of "indulging in false propaganda to malign me and my party."
"Some of you, friends, appear keen to see my end... My request to you is that please refrain from that. It is deplorable and I register my strong protest at that," he said.
Mani is a powerful party functionary in upland Idukki, Kerala`s leading plantation district where estate unions are vital components of all parties. Mani had headed CPI(M)`s district unit for over two decades and has been a state committee member for long.
His earlier speech that the party had allegedly eliminated political foes had hugely embarrassed CPI(M) in Kerala, at a time when it was on the defensive in the wake of the murder of Marxist rebel and RMP leader TP Chandrasekharan.
The CPI(M) had then distanced itself from Mani and he was openly censured after making it clear that physically annihilating political opponents was not its policy.
However, based on that controversial speech, police registered a criminal case against him and some other district functionaries of CPI(M) and launched a fresh investigation in the past cases of political murders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- This online wedding community helps you plan your marriage
- Women find 'dominant' men more attractive – Here’s why
- TIRUN announces maiden voyage of world's largest cruise ship
- Jayalalithaa takes oath as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Katrina Kaif looks as pretty as a picture on 'Jagga Jasoos' sets in Morocco! View pics