CPI(M) leader Mani fails to appear before police
Idukki: CPI(M) leader M M Mani, facing criminal charges over his controversial speech that the party had in the past eliminated its foes, has once again failed to appear before police for questioning.
With the High Court rejecting his plea to quash the FIRs against him last week, police had severed a notice to Mani asking him to appear at the DySP office at Thodpouzha today.
Mani`s lawyers informed the police team that he would not be personally appearing for questioning as he was planning to move the apex court against the high court order.
The lawyers also sought 10 days time for his personal appearance.
This is the second time that Mani has avoided appearing before the investigators.
Last month, shortly after the case against him was registered, he was summoned by police but he did not respond to the notice holding he had approached the High Court.
Speculation was rife right from the wee hours today that he would turn up before the police and media persons had assembled in large number before the DySP office. Security was also strengthened in around the venue.
Mani had stated that the party in 1980s drew up a list of rivals to be eliminated and killed three of them.
After his public oration brought huge embarrassment to the party as a whole, he was removed as Idukki district secretary by the state committee.
The CPI(M) central leadership also prevailed on the state unit to take action against Mani as his utterances not only defamed the party but also amounted to deviation from the party`s line.
Police had last month filed FIRs against him and summoned for questioning in connection with some of the past cases of political murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried