CPI(M) MP urges Ansari to take action against Kurien
Thiruvananthapuram: A CPI(M) MP has urged Vice-President Hamid Ansari to take action against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien in view of the allegations raised against him by the Suryanelli gang-rape victim.
TN Seema, Kerala state President of the CPI(M)`s women- wing AIDWA, submitted a letter in this regard to Ansari, also the Chairman of the Upper House of Parliament, on his arrival here on a two-day visit yesterday.
"In the light of the Supreme Court judgement for re-trial in the Suryanelli case, it is a matter of concern that a person accused in a sexual assault case by the victim, is occupying the position of the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha," she said in the letter.
The MP contended action against Kurien was inevitable for upholding the dignity and esteem of Parliament.
In the forthcoming Parliament session, the law against sexual assault on women replacing the ordinance promulgated by the President is most likely to come up for discussions, she said.
"The status of our Parliament will be irreparably damaged in the eyes of the world if such a discussion is permitted to be guided by a person who has been accused of involvement in a case of rape of a minor girl," she said.
With the Supreme Court quashing that Kerala High Court verdict of 2005 (acquitting 35 accused), the latter`s ruling discharging Kurien in a related case stood on questionable ground and the complaint of the victim against him ought to be heard again, she added.
Kurien has rejected demands for his resignation saying he had been cleared by the High Court and also the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers