CPM leader charged with murder, conspiracy
Idukki (Kerala): Two days after a top CPI-M Kerala leader claimed his party had physically annihilated foes in Idukki district, police on Monday registered three cases of murder and conspiracy against him.
According to police, cases were registered in Thodupuzha, around 220 km from state capital Thiruvananthapuram, against MM Mani, Idukki district secretary of the Communist Part of India-Marxist.
Mani sent shock waves on Friday night when he told a public rally in the Santhampara area in Thodupuzha that the CPI-M has in the past resorted to killing political foes and listed out four such murders.
These murders reportedly took place in Idukki district in the 1980s.
Police said three of the four murder cases were dismissed for want of evidence and those arrested were let off after the trial.
"Since the cases have been registered under non-bailable sections (Sections 302 and 109 of the Indian Penal Code), the arrest of Mani should take place anytime," a legal expert said.
Kerala`s Director General of Police T Asif Ali had given a legal opinion that the cases could be reopened in view of the new disclosures by the CPI-M leader. The Oommen Chandy government had also said that Mani`s revelation was "a very serious issue".
Known for his fiery diatribe, Mani had said that in the past, his party activists in one case shot dead one of their political adversaries; in another one person was stabbed to death; and yet in another case, a person was beaten to death.
He went on to add that CPI-M is one such party which owns up the crimes it commits.
With the CPI-M in the dock over two murders (TP Chandrasekharan on May 4 and Shukoor murder case in February this year) and with a number of its cadres arrested for their involvement in them, Mani`s revelations have doled out another blow to the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28