Crime against women: Kerala sets up all-woman police team
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Government has decided to set up an all-woman police team to tackle cases of attack on women and ensure their speedy trial under a Inspector General of Police.
Home Department sources here said the team, comprising four IPS officers, would be entrusted with investigation of sensational cases of crimes against women including rape, sex racket and sexual exploitation.
IGP B Sandhya would head the team while IPS officials Uma Behera, Ajeetha Begum and Chandan Chowdhary would be the other members.
The team would not only probe particular cases but would also ensure justice to victims by facilitating speedy trials.
While many of the women outfits welcomed the decision to set up such a special team, some activists are of the view change in the approach of police was vital to check crimes against women.
CPI(M) leader and Rajya Sabha member TN Seema said change in the attitude in police system was necessary to curb violence against women than a new investigation team.
"A women investigation team might be a novel initiative. But, I do not think it will bring the desired result if there is no change in the basic attitude of police personnel at grassroot level. Victims should get decent treatment from the cops and they should be fear-free to disclose truths," Seema told PTI.
She said every state should take necessary steps to ensure heinous crimes like the recent gang rape in Delhi was not happening in their areas.
According to official figures, 9758 cases of crimes have been reported against women in Kerala upto September this year.
These include 715 rape cases, 2798 molestation cases, 141 kidnapping cases and 343 incidents of eve teasing, it said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir