Cyber crimes on the increase in Kerala: DGP
Kochi: The number of complaints regarding
cyber crimes in Kerala has been on the increase over the last
two years, state Director General of Police Jacob Punnose said
here on Monday.
Use of the computer for criminal purposes was on the
increase. "If we leave cyber space unguarded, it will be ruled
by criminals," he said speaking on `Cyber crimes relating to
women and children` at a two-day lawyers national conference.
He said about 3,000 complaints were registered with cyber
cell of the police launched in 2007. Last year the number of
complaints was 14,406 and upto December 1 this year it had
touched 29,346, he said adding next year it might cross
On difficulties in investigating cyber crimes, he said
"while protecting the freedom of internet and many of its good
things, we must definitely think of restraining such freedom
by common law".
"If you want internet to be civilised, we must subject to
a chaining process," he said.
In her paper `Online child safety from sexual abuse in
India`, Lina Acca Mathew, Lecturer, Government Law College,
Thrissur, emphasised the need for a law criminalising child
sexual abuse, including online abuses.
Over 500 delegates across the country including some from
abroad participated in the seminar.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!