Cyber crimes on the increase in Kerala: DGP
Kochi: The number of complaints regarding
cyber crimes in Kerala has been on the increase over the last
two years, state Director General of Police Jacob Punnose said
here on Monday.
Use of the computer for criminal purposes was on the
increase. "If we leave cyber space unguarded, it will be ruled
by criminals," he said speaking on `Cyber crimes relating to
women and children` at a two-day lawyers national conference.
He said about 3,000 complaints were registered with cyber
cell of the police launched in 2007. Last year the number of
complaints was 14,406 and upto December 1 this year it had
touched 29,346, he said adding next year it might cross
On difficulties in investigating cyber crimes, he said
"while protecting the freedom of internet and many of its good
things, we must definitely think of restraining such freedom
by common law".
"If you want internet to be civilised, we must subject to
a chaining process," he said.
In her paper `Online child safety from sexual abuse in
India`, Lina Acca Mathew, Lecturer, Government Law College,
Thrissur, emphasised the need for a law criminalising child
sexual abuse, including online abuses.
Over 500 delegates across the country including some from
abroad participated in the seminar.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video