Cyclone Thane: Heavy rains leave 4 dead in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Heavy rains and floods here on Saturday have left four people dead and one missing in the aftermath of Cyclone Thane which hit the Tamil Nadu coast near Cuddalore on Friday.
At least 33 people were killed as cyclone Thane hit the Tamil Nadu coast near Cuddalore on Friday morning, leaving a trail of death and destruction in the state and Puducherry.
Speaking to the media, Kerala Minister for Transport VS Sivakumar said four people have been reported dead and one missing in Thiruvananthapuram.
"We have already opened three relief camps as low lying areas of the city have been flooded. Instructions have been given to authorities that they should open more camps. Food and ration would be provided in the camps," said Sivakumar.
In the capital district, 50 houses have been partially destroyed and the authorities have decided to open the shutters of the Neyyar Dam located on the outskirts.
The state government has announced Rs 1 lakh ex-gratia to the families of the victims immediately.
"We are doing our best to see that relief and rehabilitation reaches those who have been affected," said Thiruvananthapuram Mayor J Chandrika.
Heavy rains have been reported across the state with the southern districts being the worst affected.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH