Dalai Lama calls for complete freedom to practice various
Kochi: Describing this century as the century of dialogues, Tibetian spirtual leader, Dalai Lama today called for complete freedom to practise various religions and to bridge the gap between the rich and the poor.
`In some places there are restrictions. That is harmful. Allow complete freedom of various religious practises`, the Dalai Lama said in his inaugural address at the 33rd World Congress of the International Association for Religious Freedom here.
In erstwhile Soviet Union and China there is interest in religion now. `Outwardly they may be aethist, inwardly they are religious`, he said adding in western countries also scientists were now showing interest in spirituality.
The crime rate is increasing in developing and developed nations as there is gap between the rich and the poor. In china there is huge gap happening. We have to think about it and reduce the gap, he said.
Due to global warming, there have been disasters round the world. There has been drought and floods in Paksitan, some parts of Africa, China, Tibet and Ladak. This is due to negligence and expolitation of natural resources and there is need to develop sense of global responsbility towards our planet, he said.
There may be differences in the philosophies and traditions of different religions be it hindusim, christianity, Islam, Jainism, Buddism, Sikhism, but they all profess the same message of love, compassion, tolerance and contentment and there is need to respect all religions.
`Keep faith in once own religion, but respect all religious tradition`, he said. That we can develop and practise, he said. “Otherwise in the name of relgion, conflicts have taken place in the past and the present. Some manipulate religious faith. It is very sad,” he said.
Later at an interactive session, the Dalai Lama was asked by a women delegate if he saw a special role for women in this century of dialogue.
`No doubt about that`, was his quick reply. Biologically women have greater potential for compassion and love. Even when fathers disappear, mothers take care. Therefore women should take more active role.
Replying to another query, he said in modern education,
more attention is being paid to knowledge and brain
development. But there is need to introduce ethics in the
education system to make it more wholistic.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi