Damodaran Potti to be chief priest for Sabarimala
Sabarimala (Kerala): N Damodaran Potti from Vaikom was today appointed as `Melsanthi`(Chief Priest) of Sabarimala Ayyappa temple for one year from the coming Mandala Pooja season starting from mid-November.
Unnikrishnan Namboodiri from Kothamangalam was selected as Chief Priest for the adjoining Malikappuram Devi temple.
The selections were made by drawing lots from a panel of nine priests shortlisted after interviews conducted by the Travancore Deveswom Board (TDB), the body that manages the hillshrine.
They will take over as Chief Priests on November 16, on the eve of the 41-day Mandala season starting from the month of Vrishchikam of Malayalam calendar, a TDB spokesman said.
As per the temple tradition, he would have to stay in the Sabari hill for till their term is over.
The lots were drawn by two children, who came to worship at the temple which opened today for the poojas on the first day of the month of Thulam of Malayalam calendar.
Chief Commissioner for Sabarimala K Jayakumar and senior officials of TDB were present on the occasion, a board spokesman said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video