Decision on banning Endosulfan after ICMR report: Centre
New Delhi: As Kerala Chief Minister VS
Achuthanandan went on a day-long fast demanding a nationwide
ban on pesticide Endosulfan, the Centre today said it would
take a view on the issue "in the best interest of the country"
after the ICMR submits its report.
"The use of Endosulfan has been banned in Kerala.
However, imposing a nationwide ban would require national
consensus backed by scientific study," a PMO release said
after Leader of Opposition in Kerala Assembly Oommen Chandy
and KPCC President Ramesh Chennithala met Prime Minister
The Prime Minister informed the delegation that the
Centre has "an open mind on this issue".
Noting that a committee chaired by Director General of
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) was presently
examining the harmful effects of Endosulfan on the health of
the people, the release said the Committee would be asked to
"expedite" its report.
"Based on the findings a view would be taken in the
best interest of the country," the release said.
It said an all-party delegation from the state met the
Prime Minister on February 22 and urged him to impose a
nationwide ban on the pesticide. The delegation stated that
the use of the pesticide had led to serious health hazards in
Kasargod district of Kerala.
They also urged the Centre to take up this issue at
the Stockholm Convention for a worldwide ban on the use of
Demanding a nationwide ban on the pesticide
Endosulfan, Achuthanandan observed a day long state-wide mass
fast in Thiruvananthapuram from 10 AM.
He was joined in the seven-hour fast as part of
`anti-Endosulfan day` by leaders of various political parties,
including BJP, cultural personalities, rights activists and
representatives of NGOs.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Film with Alia Bhatt not typical hero-heroine one: Shah Rukh Khan
- IPL 9: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders – Probably playing XIs; players to watch out for
- Amazing! Village in China painted with 3D colours to attract tourists; See PICS
- Vital facts about Kangana Ranaut's leaked image suppressed: Hrithik Roshan's camp
- Sunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISS