Defiant Mani refuses to step down from CPM post
Idukki/Kochi: A defiant M M Mani today refused to step down from CPI-M`s organisational post in the wake of his controversial speech that the party had eliminated its foes in the past even as Chief Minister Oommen Chandy justified the criminal case slapped against him.
"There is no question of my quitting the party post unless it is so decided by the party at then highest level," Mani, who has kept away from the public eye for the last few days, told reporters in Idukki.
Mani, who is CPI-M`s Idukki district secretary, also refuted reports of having gone into hiding after police booked a case against him for his speech last week at Thodupuzha where he said CPI-M had prepared a list and eliminated three rivals in Idukki district in the 1980s.
"I have been in politics for over four decades. I do not consider the present controversy as a big issue. We will face it legally and politically", he said.
Police had yesterday pasted the notice issued to Mani asking him to appear for questioning before the SIT at his residence and the party`s district committee office.
A case had been registered against Mani last week on charges of murder, abetment and concealing information based on his speech at Thodupuzha.
In Kochi, Chandy told reporters that Mani had questioned the rule of law.
"If no case had been registered (against Mani), people would have questioned the government, he said.
DGP Jacob Ponnose said in Trichur that the investigation in the case was going on smoothly. A Special Investigation Team has been constituted to probe the case, he said.
Meanwhile, CPI state secretary Panniyan Raveendran said Mani`s speech was a `slur` on the Communist movement.
"Communists are humanists. A Communist cannot say that he prepared a list of political enemies and eliminated them," he told a Malayalam news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone