Denial of classical status to Malayalam an injustice: VS
Thiruvananthapuram:: Stepping up the pitch for
grant of `classical` status to Malayalam, Kerala Chief
Minister V S Achuthanandan today said there was no
justification for denial of the coveted rank to Malayalam
alone among the South Indian languages.
" It is without any credible reason that Malayalam alone
being denied the status, which has been granted to other
South Indian lanuages Tamil, Kannada and Telugu", he said
at a meeting held here to discuss the draft document for
pressing the demand prepared by the experts` committee set up
" Malayalam is not inferior to the other three languages
that derived from the proto `Adidravidam`, he said making
call for joint efforts to gain the classical status to the
mother tongue of Keralites.
He also said whatever be the medium of instruction in
schools, Malayalam should be taught as the first
Since his ministry came to power, orders had been issued
making it complusory to teach Malayalam upto fifth standard
as learning mother tongue was essenital to achieve cultural
progress, he said.
The experts` committee chairman Dr Puthussery Ramachandran,
critic and academic Prof M Leelavathi and Culture Minister
M A Baby participated in the discussions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM
- Jharkhand Maoists torch 35 vehicles in 150 days; contractors panic