Dentist among 2 PFI activists held in lecturer attack case
Kochi: Two more activists of the Popular
Front of India (PFI), a Muslim radical outfit, have been
arrested in connection with the attack on a college lecturer,
taking the total number of those apprehended so far in the
case to six.
Rinees, a dentist, was arrested tonight in connection
with the attack on T J Joseph, the college lecturer whose
right hand was chopped off on July 4, police said today.
Another PFI activist, Abdul Salam was arrested from
Thaikkatukara in Aluva last night, they said.
Police said there was evidence that Rinees had treated
some of the accused who were involved in the attack. Popular
front pamphlets and CDs were also seized from his car, they
Rinees was picked up for questioning two days ago from
his clinic at Aluva. He will be produced before Muvattupuzha
magistrate court tomorrow, they said.
Salam, divisional secretary of the PFI, had allegedly
arranged a vehicle for the assailants to escape after they
came to his house soon after the July 4 incident.
He was involved in the conspiracy in connection with the
attack on the lecturer, police said.
Police are also questioning at least 20 other PFI
activists picked up from various parts of the state.
A lookout notice has also been issued against three main
accused in the case.
Police also imposed a ban on the training exercise of PFI
activists, participating in the `Freedom Parade` to be
organised by the outfit on August 15.
Professor T J Joseph`s right hand was chopped off at
Muvattupuzha by suspected activists of PFI for preparing a
question paper which allegedly had derogatory references to
He was returning with his family after Sunday mass when
the incident took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands