Dentist among 2 PFI activists held in lecturer attack case
Kochi: Two more activists of the Popular
Front of India (PFI), a Muslim radical outfit, have been
arrested in connection with the attack on a college lecturer,
taking the total number of those apprehended so far in the
case to six.
Rinees, a dentist, was arrested tonight in connection
with the attack on T J Joseph, the college lecturer whose
right hand was chopped off on July 4, police said today.
Another PFI activist, Abdul Salam was arrested from
Thaikkatukara in Aluva last night, they said.
Police said there was evidence that Rinees had treated
some of the accused who were involved in the attack. Popular
front pamphlets and CDs were also seized from his car, they
Rinees was picked up for questioning two days ago from
his clinic at Aluva. He will be produced before Muvattupuzha
magistrate court tomorrow, they said.
Salam, divisional secretary of the PFI, had allegedly
arranged a vehicle for the assailants to escape after they
came to his house soon after the July 4 incident.
He was involved in the conspiracy in connection with the
attack on the lecturer, police said.
Police are also questioning at least 20 other PFI
activists picked up from various parts of the state.
A lookout notice has also been issued against three main
accused in the case.
Police also imposed a ban on the training exercise of PFI
activists, participating in the `Freedom Parade` to be
organised by the outfit on August 15.
Professor T J Joseph`s right hand was chopped off at
Muvattupuzha by suspected activists of PFI for preparing a
question paper which allegedly had derogatory references to
He was returning with his family after Sunday mass when
the incident took place.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured