Dentist among 2 PFI activists held in lecturer attack case
Kochi: Two more activists of the Popular
Front of India (PFI), a Muslim radical outfit, have been
arrested in connection with the attack on a college lecturer,
taking the total number of those apprehended so far in the
case to six.
Rinees, a dentist, was arrested tonight in connection
with the attack on T J Joseph, the college lecturer whose
right hand was chopped off on July 4, police said today.
Another PFI activist, Abdul Salam was arrested from
Thaikkatukara in Aluva last night, they said.
Police said there was evidence that Rinees had treated
some of the accused who were involved in the attack. Popular
front pamphlets and CDs were also seized from his car, they
Rinees was picked up for questioning two days ago from
his clinic at Aluva. He will be produced before Muvattupuzha
magistrate court tomorrow, they said.
Salam, divisional secretary of the PFI, had allegedly
arranged a vehicle for the assailants to escape after they
came to his house soon after the July 4 incident.
He was involved in the conspiracy in connection with the
attack on the lecturer, police said.
Police are also questioning at least 20 other PFI
activists picked up from various parts of the state.
A lookout notice has also been issued against three main
accused in the case.
Police also imposed a ban on the training exercise of PFI
activists, participating in the `Freedom Parade` to be
organised by the outfit on August 15.
Professor T J Joseph`s right hand was chopped off at
Muvattupuzha by suspected activists of PFI for preparing a
question paper which allegedly had derogatory references to
He was returning with his family after Sunday mass when
the incident took place.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre