Devaswom rejects RBI request to provide details of gold stocks
Thrissur: The Guruvayur Devaswom has rejected Reserve Bank of India`s request to provide them details of gold assets of the famous Sri Krishna temple in that town.
"RBI had requested the Guruvayur Devaswom Managing Committee (GDMC) to provide details of gold stock in its possession as part of collecting the gold assets of places of religious worship in the country," Devaswom Administrator K Muraleedharan said.
The Devaswom has already been communicated to RBI, its inability to provide the details as it was `impractical` to assess the gold stock correctly, he said here today.
A decision in this regard was taken at the GDMC meeting here yesterday, he said.
The state Government constituted GDMC`s term expired about two months ago and is now being managed by an ad hoc committee, comprising permanent members, including Devswom Commissioner Dr V M Gopala Menon and the Administrator.
Thrissur based Jana Sevana Munnani Samithi (Public Service Front Council), a charitable trust had requested it be given details of gold and diamond in the possession of the Devaswom under Right to Information Act about three months ago.
The Devaswom did not provide the information on the ground it was not bound to give it to trusts and other institutions, Council`s president, Soman Pillai said.
On Sept 9, a senior Devaswom official had confirmed receiving a request from RBI, asking them to provide details of their gold stocks.
RBI spokesperson Alpana Killawala had admitted they had written to temple boards in Kerala, but clarified that the objective of the letter was to collect data and that the September 1 statement of RBI had said there was no proposal under its consideration (to buy gold and bullion from temples)."
Sri Krishna Temple in Guruvayur is one of the richest temples in the country which has at its disposal vast reserves of gold and other valuables, offered by devotees over the years.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok