Did not withdraw complaint against MP under duress: Shweta Menon
Thiruvananthapuram: Malayalam actor Shweta Menon, who had accused Congress MP N Peethambara Kurup of molesting her but later chose not to press the case, today rejected reports she had withdrawn the complaint under pressure from the film industry.
The 39-year-old artiste, who has essayed many memorable roles in a career spanning two decades, said she had acted the basis of the "public apology" from the politician and the advice of her father.
Shweta said she met Chief Minister Oommen Chandy yesterday and narrated the harassment she had suffered during the President`s Trophy boat race at Kollam on November 1.
"Nobody either in the film field or outside had forced me withdraw the complaint (against Kurup). Oganisations like AMMA and FEFKA had offered me complete support during the time of controversy," Shweta told reporters at the Press Club here.
Sticking to her justification for backing out from legal action, she said Kurup`s "public apology" for hurting her sentiments was the only reason that forced her in the matter.
"Seeing the MP tendering apology through TV channels, my 82-year-old father suggested I give up legal proceedings. It was the only reason and everything else has been cooked up stories. But as I said earlier, I met the Chief Minister and explained to him in detail the harassments I had suffered," she said.
She also said some people had tried to tarnish her image and attempted character assassination during the time of the controversy.
The actress, however, skipped questions on reports that police might record her statement again as required by law.
"I am not aware of all these things. I don`t have anything to say on such matters," she said when journalists asked her about the proceedings on the FIR lodged in the court on the basis of the statement she had given earlier.
Shweta, who released the theme song for Journalists Premier League (JPL) cricket tournament being organised by the Thiruvananthapuram Press Club, also inaugurated the Women`s Forum of the club.
Shweta`s husband Sreevalsan Menon, who was present, sponsored the man of the series prize for the best player of the tournament in the name of their one-year-old daughter Sabaina.
The tournament, to be held from November 28 to 30 here, will have teams from all district press clubs in Kerala.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata