Do not think anything unlawful happened at ashram: Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Saturday said he did not think that anything unlawful had happened at the `mutt` of Mata Amritanandamayi here, as has been claimed by the author of a recent book.
"I do not think anything took place at the mutt (which is) against the law of the land. People have to consider the services provided by the mutt to society and not the charges against it," he told reporters at Sulthan Batheri near Kozhikode.
"As one who has witnessed and participated in its services, it is not possible for the public to ignore the great work done by the mutt," Chandy added.
Meanwhile, CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan has termed the charges against the mutt serious and demanded that an inquiry be held into the same.
Australian-born Gail Tredwell in her book, `Holy Hell A Memoir of Faith, Devotion and Pure Madness`, has claimed she had lived in the ashram for many years, but had left after some bitter experiences.
Police recently registered a case under IT Act against those who had posted adverse comments in the social media based on the contents of the said book.
Following complaints lodged by some of her devotees, the case was registered at Karunagapally, close to the ashram`s headquarters of Amritapuri at Vallikkavu.
The ashram has refrained from issuing any official statement or clarification in the matter.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city