Doctor suspended for weakening case against killer
Thiruvananthapuram: A Kerala government doctor,
who allegedly gave statements almost weakening the prosecution
case in the rape and murder of a woman, was on Monday suspended
Action against Dr A K Unmesh, doctor in Forensic Department
of Thrissur Medical College, came three days after a Fast
Track Court in Thrissur sentenced to death the accused in
raping and murdering 23-year-old Soumya after pushing her out
of a running train in February.
The Government order said Unmesh`s statements made before
the court during the trial about post-mortem of the victim
were misleading and would have weakened the prosecution case.
The judge who pronounced the verdict also suggested inqiry
and action against Unmesh, whose statements during the trial
had cast doubts on the credibility of the post-mortem report
filed by another doctor Sherly Vasu.
Unmesh held that he was present during the post-mortem and
Sherly had made corrections and additions in the report
submitted to the court.
Unmesh`s statement was seized on by the counsel of the
accused to defend his client.
While sentencing 30-year-old Govindachamy from Viruddachalam
in Tamil Nadu to death, the judge said the offences were
committed by the accused in a diabolic manner and did not
deserve any leniency.
Govindachamy, a vagrant, had assaulted and pushed the victim
travelling in a deserted ladies` compartment of the
Kochi-Shornur passenger train after the train left Vallathol
Nagar Railway station on February 1 this year.
After she fell on the track side, he pursued her and
dragged her to a dark isolated spot and raped before hitting
her head with a stone.
Though Soumya, an employee of a shopping mall in Kochi, was
taken to a hospital by passersby, she died on February 6 after
battling for life.
She was on her way home near Shornur when the tragedy
occurred a day before her betrothal.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach