Documentation of Kerala temple treasure begins
Thiruvananthapuram: The documentation of the treasure unearthed at the famed Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple last year began Monday morning with a joint meeting of the two committees appointed by the Supreme Court.
One of the committees is headed by M.V. Nair and the other by Justice (retd) M.N. Krishnan. Both committees comprise representatives from the Kerala government, the royal family of the erstwhile princely state of Travancore who are the official custodians of the temple, and experts in this field.
According to earlier reports, the temple is believed to have a treasure trove of precious jewels which is estimated to be worth more than Rs.one lakh crore, making it the richest temple in the world.
In all, there are six vaults in the temple of which five have been opened based on a petition filed by a former IPS official T.P. Sundararajan. It was in July last year that the Supreme Court-appointed committee stumbled upon the treasure from vault A which had remained unopened for more than 150 years.
A committee member said that the first step would be to open vault C. Each item would be videographed, a bar code placed on it and then the valuation would be made.
"State-of-the-art-equipment from the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is being used and state-owned Keltron is coordinating the valuation. It is going to take a long time for this process to be completed and the entire valuation operation will be monitored by officials sitting in a control room set up inside the temple premises," said a member who did not wish to be identified.
On Feb 9, a trial stock-taking was done and Nair had expressed satisfaction at the way it was done and had announced that the original valuation would begin today.
"The E and F vaults would be documented today. Then, an interim report would be submitted to the court and only then the stock taking would be done on vault A. With regards to vault B, it would be the decision of the apex court," added the member.
Incidentally, Sundararajan passed away last year and another co-petitioner also passed away early this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in