Don`t play with lives over dam: Stalin to Kerala
Chennai: DMK leader MK Stalin on Monday asked Kerala not to play with the lives of people of Tamil Nadu by "false propaganda" about the safety of the Mullaperiyar dam.
Addressing a gathering ahead of a protest fast at Tambaram near here, Stalin said: "Political parties in Kerala are carrying out false propaganda about the safety of Mullaperiyar dam."
The former deputy chief minister warned them "not to play with lives of people living in southern Tamil Nadu".
The DMK is holding a protest fast across the state between 8 am and 5 pm Monday and will organise a human chain Wednesday in Theni, Madurai, Sivaganga, Dindugal and Ramanathapuram districts.
They are demanding that the central government deploy forces at the dam and also want the water storage level to be raised to 142 ft from 136 ft as per the 2006 Supreme Court order.
The protest fast was inaugurated by DMK general secretary K Anbazhagan and will be concluded by party president and former chief minister M Karunanidhi at the party headquarters.
Kerala and Tamil Nadu have been at loggerheads over the dam that is located in Kerala; however, its water serves Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu wants the dam`s storage capacity to be increased while Kerala wants a new one as it fears a strong earthquake might damage the dam and cause widespread destruction.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10