Don`t play with lives over dam: Stalin to Kerala
Chennai: DMK leader MK Stalin on Monday asked Kerala not to play with the lives of people of Tamil Nadu by "false propaganda" about the safety of the Mullaperiyar dam.
Addressing a gathering ahead of a protest fast at Tambaram near here, Stalin said: "Political parties in Kerala are carrying out false propaganda about the safety of Mullaperiyar dam."
The former deputy chief minister warned them "not to play with lives of people living in southern Tamil Nadu".
The DMK is holding a protest fast across the state between 8 am and 5 pm Monday and will organise a human chain Wednesday in Theni, Madurai, Sivaganga, Dindugal and Ramanathapuram districts.
They are demanding that the central government deploy forces at the dam and also want the water storage level to be raised to 142 ft from 136 ft as per the 2006 Supreme Court order.
The protest fast was inaugurated by DMK general secretary K Anbazhagan and will be concluded by party president and former chief minister M Karunanidhi at the party headquarters.
Kerala and Tamil Nadu have been at loggerheads over the dam that is located in Kerala; however, its water serves Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu wants the dam`s storage capacity to be increased while Kerala wants a new one as it fears a strong earthquake might damage the dam and cause widespread destruction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow