Downpour, landslides claim 14 lives in Kerala, Kochi airport closed
Idukki/Kochi: Fourteen persons died on Monday and several reported missing in landslips triggered by heavy rain in high range Idukki and adjoining districts of Kerala, forcing closure of Cochin International Airport as the runway was water-logged.
Eight contingents of Army and National Disaster Relief Force have been called to speed up relief and rescue operations in Idukki and Aluva areas near Kochi where Periyar river is overflowing.
After reviewing the situation, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said 11 casualties were reported from Idukki district where 10 persons are still missing.
Relief operations have been hampered since roads in Idukki were seriously damaged after 18 landslips had occurred since last night.
Chandy said some 20,000 people hit by incessant rains and floods have been shifted to relief camps in Idukki as well as Ernakulam, Pathanamthitta and Thrissur districts.
The government has allotted Rs 84 crore for urgent relief works in affected areas.
While nine lives were lost in landslips, five persons engaged in relief work were killed as a huge block of rock and rubble came crashing down on them at Chiyyampara near Adimali.
Rescuers are still removing the debris using earthmovers as more people are feared to be trapped under the rubble, police said.
The sandbanks of Periyar river in Aluva, where thousands are to converge to perform the `Balitharpanam` ritual tomorrow on the day of `Karkitakavavu`, is flooded and the Shiva temple there almost submerged. The district administrtion is seeking possibilities of alternative arrangements for the conduct of the ritual.
The Cochin International airport at nearby Nedumbassery will remain closed to traffic till tomorrow evening as taxi bays and parking bays continue to be water-logged.
The airport has been closed till 3.30pm tomorrow, Airport Director A K C Nair said.
Though water-logging in the runway has been reduced, taxi-bays and parking bays still
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends