EC conducts inquiry on Railway Minister`s new scheme
Thiruvanathapuram: The scheme to provide
free rail travel to girl students announced by Union Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee in this year`s Rail budget seems to have run into trouble for the time being with Chief Election
Commission of India ordering an enquiry into the scheme.
A report have been sought from the Railway Board and Raja
Sabha Secretariate about the scheme announced by the Railway
Minister and a decision on the scheme would be taken soon
after getting the report, Chief Election Commissioner Y S
Quraishi told reporters here Friday.
Quraishi was answering reporters query on CPI-M leader
Sitaram Yechury`s comment that CEC did not apply same yardstick on Railway Minister`s new scheme while banning the implementation of `rice for Rs two per kg` scheme of CPI-M led LDF government in Kerala.
The commission ordered an inquiry based on media reports of Yechury`s comments. `We will not show any discrimination to
any states`, he said. However, he said CEC would not allow
any programmes that meant to influence voters.
On the CEC` stand on `rice for Rs Two per kg`, he said as the matter was before Kerala high court, CEC would inform the court about its position.
Quraishi who along with Election Commissioner V S Sampath and
H S Brahma held meetings with top state government and police
officials on the preparations for the April 13 assembly polls,
said that there would be strict monitoring of expenditure of
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth