EC conducts inquiry on Railway Minister`s new scheme
Thiruvanathapuram: The scheme to provide
free rail travel to girl students announced by Union Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee in this year`s Rail budget seems to have run into trouble for the time being with Chief Election
Commission of India ordering an enquiry into the scheme.
A report have been sought from the Railway Board and Raja
Sabha Secretariate about the scheme announced by the Railway
Minister and a decision on the scheme would be taken soon
after getting the report, Chief Election Commissioner Y S
Quraishi told reporters here Friday.
Quraishi was answering reporters query on CPI-M leader
Sitaram Yechury`s comment that CEC did not apply same yardstick on Railway Minister`s new scheme while banning the implementation of `rice for Rs two per kg` scheme of CPI-M led LDF government in Kerala.
The commission ordered an inquiry based on media reports of Yechury`s comments. `We will not show any discrimination to
any states`, he said. However, he said CEC would not allow
any programmes that meant to influence voters.
On the CEC` stand on `rice for Rs Two per kg`, he said as the matter was before Kerala high court, CEC would inform the court about its position.
Quraishi who along with Election Commissioner V S Sampath and
H S Brahma held meetings with top state government and police
officials on the preparations for the April 13 assembly polls,
said that there would be strict monitoring of expenditure of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli