Education only means for development: Pallam Raju
Kasargod: Union HRD minister Pallam Raju on Saturday said education is the only means for development and growth in the present day knowledge society and that the Centre would make all efforts to "enhance excellence" in this field.
"Great advancements are taking place the world over in education and India too needs excellent talent. Education is the only means of development and the Centre will make all efforts to enhance excellence in education," he said.
He was speaking at the foundation stone laying ceremony for the permanent campus of the Central University of Kerala at Periya in the district.
The minister said the Centre would accord attention to bringing about excellence in higher education in the 12th five-year plan period.
Raju said steps would be taken to start the proposed medical college by Central University in Kasargod by including it in the 12th plan after considering the resources.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, who presided over the event, said all steps had been taken to hand over 50 acres to the university.
He expressed the hope that the proposed medical college would be established at the university campus and added that the government was committed to provide power and other infrastructure for its expansion.
Union Minister of State for HRD Shahi Tharoor, who unveiled the master plan of the university, also hoped that the university would be a centre of excellence.
Among those who spoke on the occasion were Union Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed, MPs and MLAs and Jancy James, Vice Chancellor, Central University of Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi