Eight killed in cracker unit blast
Palakkad (Ker): Eight persons died and many others injured, some of them seriously, in an explosion in a fire cracker unit near Shornur town in Palakkad district this afternoon, police said.
The casualty might go up as about 30 persons were working in three sheds where explosive materials for making crakers were kept.
The bodies recovered from the site were charred and splintered into pieces.
The unit was located in an open space close to Shornur-Palakkad railway track. Though a train had passed through the spot when the blast occurred, railway sources said the mishap did not harm any passengers.
Local people said they heard deafening sounds and felt mild rattling.
"We initially thought it was an earthquake, as the area has sometimes experienced mild tremors", said a local farm worker.
Fire Force, police and local people are still engaged in rescue work and taking out people from the sheds. Seriously injured were rushed to the Thrissur Medical College Hospital.
As the temple festival season is round the corner, the unit had engaged about 30 workers since the last few weeks, local people said.
The unit was owned by a leading supplier of crackers for festivals in the area.
District administration sources said they asecertaining if the unit had proper licences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women