Election of Tharoor, 3 others challenged in Kerala HC
Kochi: Petitions challenging the election of former union minister Shashi Tharoor and three others in recent Lok Sabha polls were filed today in the Kerala High Court.
Jose K Mani of Kerala Congress (Mani-Kottayam), Anto Antony (Congress-Pathnamthitta) and P Karunakaran (CPIM-Kasaragod) are the others against whom the election petitions were filed.
In his petition challenging Tharoor`s election from Thiruvananthapuram, Aliyas John, Vizhinjam Motherport Action Committee President, contended the former minister had "wrongfully" claimed to have completed development project for Rs.2,500 crore in the constituency.
He claimed he possessed RTI documents to prove that the project worth Rs.1,170 crore out of the Rs 2,500 crore had not been undertaken by Tharoor.
Advocate Noble Mathew of BJP sought to set aside the election of Mani, whose party is a partner of ruling UDF, alleging he had indulged in corrupt practices.
According to the petitioner, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, during a poll convention of Mani, announced the dropping of the speed rail project on Kaduthurthy-Ettumanoor route, which has run into opposition from a section of people, and this amounted to violation of model code of conduct.
The declaration was made following the decision of a movement, spearheading the protest against the project, to announce a boycott of the elections, the petitioner stated.
According to the petitioner, the statement made by the Chief Minister amounted to `bribery defined under Section 123(1) of the Representation of the People Act`.
Two petitions were filed against Antony by Manoj, CPI(M) District Committee member, and one Udaybhanu alleging that he had not disclosed his entire assets in the affidavit.
Defeated Congress candidate T Siddique moved the court against the election of Karunakaran from Kasaragod.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India