Emergency cell constituted at Nedumbassery Airport
Kochi: An emergency cell has been constituted at the International airport at nearby Nedumbassery to ensure that operations are not affected in case there is flooding if the shutters of the Idukki dam are opened.
Lot of pumps, generators and sand bags have been procured to divert and drain water in case there is waterlogging, airport sources said. Consultations are also being held with Dam safety officials.
Following heavy rains during the South West Monsoon, the taxiway had got flooded which had led to the cancellation of several flights. To avoid such a situation, the emergency cell had been formed, the sources said.
The giant Idukki dam`s maximum storage level is 2,403 feet. The water level has already touched 2402 feet.
People living in low lying areas of the river in Ernakulam district have already been asked to exercise caution.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- 'Mann Ki Baat': From praising India's daughters to concern over loss of lives in Kashmir - What all PM Narendra Modi said
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew, restrictions continue for 51st day; businesses suffer losses of Rs 7,500 crore
- US flight from New Orleans to Orlando makes emergency landing after engine fails
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next
- 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore train derail in Kerala