Emergency cell constituted at Nedumbassery Airport
Kochi: An emergency cell has been constituted at the International airport at nearby Nedumbassery to ensure that operations are not affected in case there is flooding if the shutters of the Idukki dam are opened.
Lot of pumps, generators and sand bags have been procured to divert and drain water in case there is waterlogging, airport sources said. Consultations are also being held with Dam safety officials.
Following heavy rains during the South West Monsoon, the taxiway had got flooded which had led to the cancellation of several flights. To avoid such a situation, the emergency cell had been formed, the sources said.
The giant Idukki dam`s maximum storage level is 2,403 feet. The water level has already touched 2402 feet.
People living in low lying areas of the river in Ernakulam district have already been asked to exercise caution.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists
- Rio Olympics 2016: India to start with a bang
- Congress puts gag order on partymen, asks them not to make comments inconsistent with party stand