Emergency cell constituted at Nedumbassery Airport
Kochi: An emergency cell has been constituted at the International airport at nearby Nedumbassery to ensure that operations are not affected in case there is flooding if the shutters of the Idukki dam are opened.
Lot of pumps, generators and sand bags have been procured to divert and drain water in case there is waterlogging, airport sources said. Consultations are also being held with Dam safety officials.
Following heavy rains during the South West Monsoon, the taxiway had got flooded which had led to the cancellation of several flights. To avoid such a situation, the emergency cell had been formed, the sources said.
The giant Idukki dam`s maximum storage level is 2,403 feet. The water level has already touched 2402 feet.
People living in low lying areas of the river in Ernakulam district have already been asked to exercise caution.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says