Emergency cell constituted at Nedumbassery Airport
Kochi: An emergency cell has been constituted at the International airport at nearby Nedumbassery to ensure that operations are not affected in case there is flooding if the shutters of the Idukki dam are opened.
Lot of pumps, generators and sand bags have been procured to divert and drain water in case there is waterlogging, airport sources said. Consultations are also being held with Dam safety officials.
Following heavy rains during the South West Monsoon, the taxiway had got flooded which had led to the cancellation of several flights. To avoid such a situation, the emergency cell had been formed, the sources said.
The giant Idukki dam`s maximum storage level is 2,403 feet. The water level has already touched 2402 feet.
People living in low lying areas of the river in Ernakulam district have already been asked to exercise caution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly