Environment ministry accepts Kerala government`s demands
Thiruvananthapuram: The union environment ministry Tuesday accepted the Kerala government-appointed expert committee`s recommendation to keep agricultural land, plantations and habitations out of ecologically sensitive areas identified by a high-level working group on Western Ghats but the Left opposition and the protesters demanded a notification.
Late Tuesday night, an office memorandum from the ministry said the recommendations of the state government were examined and it has been decided to accept them.
Speaking to reporters close to midnight, after an emergency meeting with his party colleagues and senior ministers, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said that he is pleased that the ministry has accepted the expert committee report on this issue.
"The ministry release clearly indicates that the notification will come out. The only question now is on the date of issue of the notification and all those who thought could use this for political gains will feel sorry as I am confident that the notification will be out in a day or two," he said.
The Left and protesters however demanded that they will not accept an office memorandum but want a draft notification.
Speaking to reporters, Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said the office memorandum is just an eyewash and meant to take people for a ride as the Lok Sabha elections are round the corner.
"The need of the hour is the government should come out with a notification withdrawing their November office memorandum and nothing less than that is acceptable. Chandy has to resign as he has failed to protect the interests of the farmers," he said.
The union environment and forests ministry in November last year came out with an order which had five conditions applicable to 123 villages in the state - prohibiting mining, setting up of thermal plants and also restricts construction of buildings to less than 20,000 square metres.
The ministry had clamped the ban on the basis of the Kasturirangan panel report on the Western Ghats Nov 16.
The 123 villages are mostly in the hilly districts of Idukki, Wayanad and Kozhikode and in all these districts, people are up in arms since then.
"We do not accept this, we will not settle anything less than a complete withdrawal of the November notification. We will not sit idle as the elections are round the corner," said angry supporters of the High Range Protection Council in Idukki districts who took to the streets in the night after hearing of the latest news.
Adding trouble for the Chandy government which has just a three seat majority in the 140 member Kerala assembly, is their third biggest ally - Kerala Congress-Mani, with nine legislators, which has always been aligned with the farmers in these three districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt