Eviction notices on farmers illegal: Church
Kozhikode: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church on Saturday termed as illegal eviction notices served on over 1700 farmers by the Forest Department at Nilambur in Malappuram District and demanded that government intervene and save them.
Metropolitan Dr Zachariah Mar Theophilos, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (Malabar Diocese) told reporters here that over 1700 farmers in the region, who own farm land with title deeds, had been served notice to vacate the area in 15 days, which could not be accepted.
The farmers are settlers in the region for over 30 to 35 years cannot be treated as encroachers, he said.
They have decided to take legal steps in view of the eviction notices, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?