Eviction notices on farmers illegal: Church
Kozhikode: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church on Saturday termed as illegal eviction notices served on over 1700 farmers by the Forest Department at Nilambur in Malappuram District and demanded that government intervene and save them.
Metropolitan Dr Zachariah Mar Theophilos, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (Malabar Diocese) told reporters here that over 1700 farmers in the region, who own farm land with title deeds, had been served notice to vacate the area in 15 days, which could not be accepted.
The farmers are settlers in the region for over 30 to 35 years cannot be treated as encroachers, he said.
They have decided to take legal steps in view of the eviction notices, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday