Eviction notices on farmers illegal: Church
Kozhikode: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church on Saturday termed as illegal eviction notices served on over 1700 farmers by the Forest Department at Nilambur in Malappuram District and demanded that government intervene and save them.
Metropolitan Dr Zachariah Mar Theophilos, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (Malabar Diocese) told reporters here that over 1700 farmers in the region, who own farm land with title deeds, had been served notice to vacate the area in 15 days, which could not be accepted.
The farmers are settlers in the region for over 30 to 35 years cannot be treated as encroachers, he said.
They have decided to take legal steps in view of the eviction notices, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Big boost for PM Modi! US voices concerns over human rights situation in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down