Eviction notices on farmers illegal: Church
Kozhikode: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church on Saturday termed as illegal eviction notices served on over 1700 farmers by the Forest Department at Nilambur in Malappuram District and demanded that government intervene and save them.
Metropolitan Dr Zachariah Mar Theophilos, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (Malabar Diocese) told reporters here that over 1700 farmers in the region, who own farm land with title deeds, had been served notice to vacate the area in 15 days, which could not be accepted.
The farmers are settlers in the region for over 30 to 35 years cannot be treated as encroachers, he said.
They have decided to take legal steps in view of the eviction notices, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city