Eviction notices on farmers illegal: Church
Kozhikode: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church on Saturday termed as illegal eviction notices served on over 1700 farmers by the Forest Department at Nilambur in Malappuram District and demanded that government intervene and save them.
Metropolitan Dr Zachariah Mar Theophilos, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (Malabar Diocese) told reporters here that over 1700 farmers in the region, who own farm land with title deeds, had been served notice to vacate the area in 15 days, which could not be accepted.
The farmers are settlers in the region for over 30 to 35 years cannot be treated as encroachers, he said.
They have decided to take legal steps in view of the eviction notices, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY