Ex-Army officer lands in police custody for firing at people
Thiruvananthapuram: In an incident of road rage, a retired Army officer has landed in police custody for allegedly opening fire and leaving two persons injured after his car was blocked by an autorickshaw.
Police said Brelvi (67), a retired Lieutenant Colonel, shot at Venkateswara Rao (47) and Manoj (35) with his revolver following a heated argument with some local people in Valiyavila near here last night.
The incident was the result of a road rage after the ex-army officer`s car was blocked by an autorickshaw. The man, allegedly in an inebriated condition, picked up a quarrel with the auto driver and locals there. He then went home and came back with the revolver and fired at the crowd, police said.
The crowd roughed him up and overpowered him. Police then arrived on the spot and took him into custody. He was taken to a hospital as he also suffered injuries in the melee.
The two persons, who suffered bullet injuries, were rushed to hospital. The condition of one of the injured is stated to be serious, police said.
"According to eye-witnesses, the ex-service man was travelling in a car and an autorickshaw allegedly blocked his way near Valiyavila junction. He had heated arguments with the auto driver and some locals who gathered there," a police official said.
A case has been registered against him under IPC section 307 (attempt to murder) and Arms Act. He was later shifted to the Poojappura police station and is being interrogated, the sources said.
CPI(M) has called for a hartal in Valiavila area today as one of those injured is a local party office-bearer.
A case was also registered against some persons based on his complaint for manhandling him, the official added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!