Farook`s illustrious career spanned five decades
Thiruvananthapuram: An eminent public figure,
Kerala Governor M O Hasan Farook had an illustrious career
spanning nearly five decades.
74-year-old Farook, was Chief Minister of Puducherry and
Jharkhand Governor before he took over the gubernatorial post
in Kerala on September 8 last year. He was 19th Governor of
Kerala since its formation in 1956.
He also served as Union Minister of State for Civil
Aviation and Tourism between 1991 and 1992. He was elected to
Lok Sabha for three terms and had also served as Indian
Ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
A senior Congress leader, Farook was Puducherry Chief
Minister thrice -- the first from April 9, 1967 to March 6,
1968; then from March 17, 1969 to January 3, 1974; and from
1985 to 1990.
His end came in a Chennai hospital where he was undergoing
treatment since last month for kidney and other ailments.
Farook was born on September 6,1937 at Karikal in
Pondicherry, now Puducherry.
He became a member of the Legislative Assembly from 1964
to 1991 and served as the Speaker of the House from 1964 to
1967, and from 1980 to 1985. He was also Leader of the
Opposition in the Assembly in 1990.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP