`Fifth ministerial post to IUML a closed chapter`
Thiruvananthapuram: Seeking to put the lid on the controversy in the ruling UDF government arising over the allotment of a fifth ministerial post to constituent Indian Union Muslim League, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Wednesday said the issue is now a "closed chapter."
"The demand of IUML is not a new one. The party had held four ministerial posts and that of Government Chief Whip in 1994 itself," he told reporters during his cabinet briefing.
Chandy said when IUML demanded a fifth ministerial post, they were offered the post of deputy speaker or government chief whip. But there was some "dispute" over the issue and finally they were alloted another cabinet berth without any new portfolios.
"The issue is now a closed chapter," he said.
IUML`s Manjalamkuzhi Ali has been allotted Urban Affairs and two other departments held earlier by IUML Ministers.
To a question on reported discontent in Congress over the issue, he said everything would be sorted out through discussions.
Chandy said it was for the people to judge if the row has hit the image of the 11-month-old UDF government, which was committed to the welfare of the people.
He expressed confidence that UDF would again register a win in the coming bypoll in Neyyatinkara assembly segment as in Piravom last month.
"No doubt the Neyyatinkara by-poll also will be a referendum on the performance of the government," he said in response to a question.
The Front has extended support to the candidature of R Selvaraj, a former CPI-M MLA from Neyyatinkara who has resigned the assembly membership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes