FIR against League leader, relative
Kozhikode: In fresh
troubles to Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) leader P K
Kunhalikutty, police on Sunday registered a case against him and
his relative KA Rouf based on the latter`s claim that the
former minister had used his influence to sabotage the
"Icecream parlour" sex scandal case.
With the issue snowballing into a major legal and political
row, police in Kozhikode registered an FIR against the duo on
charge of entering into a conspiracy to pressurize some of the
victims in the case to retract their earlier statements, which
became vital in subsequent dismissal of the case.
Kozhikode City Police Commissioner P Vijayan said the case
was taken suo motu based on media reports regarding Rouf`s
claim that he had worked for getting the victims to retract
their statements, apparently to save Kunhalikutty.
The FIR against them included such charges as conspiracy,
destruction of proof and influencing witnesses in the case.
Adding a serious dimensions to the controversy, a Malayalam
TV channel today telecast the tapes of a sting operation in
which a former Additional General of Prosecutions purportedly
claimed that two former judges of Kerala High Court had been
influenced for getting the case weakened.
The channel claimed that it had material to establish that
there had been attempts to sabotage the case at various stages
but had been withholding some of the material considering the
safety of the victims.
The channel, however, said all material at its disposal
would be handed over to the competent authority.
The case related to allegations that surfaced in late 1990s
that an icecream parlour in Kozhikode city was used as a cover
for luring young women into sex rackets.
The case took a shocking turn when a victim claimed that
Kunhalikutty had exploited her for sex. She later retracted
her allegation and also withdrew a statement given at a
Kunhalikutty quit as Industries Minister in the Congress-
led UDF Government in 2004 in the wake of allegations in
connection with the case.
The IUML leader, however, did not figure as an accused but
political rivals and women`s rights outfits alleged that he
had misused his position and clout to avoid facing
The issue resurfaced two days back with Kunhalikutty coming
out with a claim that he faced a threat to his life from Rouf,
who had also sought to blackmail him.
The same day, Rouf refuted the charges and said that he had
been used by Kunhalikutty to wriggle out of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon