Firebrand SFI leader Sindhu Joy quits CPI-M
Thiruvananthapuram: In an embarrassment to
CPI-M in poll-bound Kerala, its firebrand student wing leader
Sindhu Joy Thursday resigned from the party amid indications
that she would join the Congress.
Sindhu, who was in the forefront of the agitation against
UDF Government`s educational policies in 2005, said she was
quitting CPI-M as she had been "neglected" by the party.
"I have been persistently ignored by the party for the
last several months," said, adding she would announce her
future plans soon.
The CPI(M) reacted to the development by dismissing her from
the primary membership for "anti-party activities."
A former State President of CPI-M`s student wing SFI,
Sindhu had unsuccessfully contested against congress leader
Oommen Chandy in Puthupalli in 2006 assembly polls and against
Union Minister K V Thomas in 2009 Lok Sabha elections in
Chandy said Sindhu would be welcomed to the Congress if she
wanted to join the party.
CPI (M) veteran and chief minister V S Achuthanandan said
somebody joining the Congress now would be surprising.
"These are days when even Congress workers are shy to declare
their political sympathies. It is surprising that somebody is
joining the Congress in times like this," Achuthanandan said
During the 2006 polls, Sindhu had been projected by the LDF
as a victim of "brute" handling of student stir against
opening up of education sector to private sector by the
Posters showing Sindu leading the agitation despite having
suffered a heel injury in police lathicharge was a campaign
material of the LDF in the last polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror