Firebrand SFI leader Sindhu Joy quits CPI-M
Thiruvananthapuram: In an embarrassment to
CPI-M in poll-bound Kerala, its firebrand student wing leader
Sindhu Joy Thursday resigned from the party amid indications
that she would join the Congress.
Sindhu, who was in the forefront of the agitation against
UDF Government`s educational policies in 2005, said she was
quitting CPI-M as she had been "neglected" by the party.
"I have been persistently ignored by the party for the
last several months," said, adding she would announce her
future plans soon.
The CPI(M) reacted to the development by dismissing her from
the primary membership for "anti-party activities."
A former State President of CPI-M`s student wing SFI,
Sindhu had unsuccessfully contested against congress leader
Oommen Chandy in Puthupalli in 2006 assembly polls and against
Union Minister K V Thomas in 2009 Lok Sabha elections in
Chandy said Sindhu would be welcomed to the Congress if she
wanted to join the party.
CPI (M) veteran and chief minister V S Achuthanandan said
somebody joining the Congress now would be surprising.
"These are days when even Congress workers are shy to declare
their political sympathies. It is surprising that somebody is
joining the Congress in times like this," Achuthanandan said
During the 2006 polls, Sindhu had been projected by the LDF
as a victim of "brute" handling of student stir against
opening up of education sector to private sector by the
Posters showing Sindu leading the agitation despite having
suffered a heel injury in police lathicharge was a campaign
material of the LDF in the last polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly