Firing by Italian crew error of judgement: Coast Guard
Kochi: The firing by crew of the Italian merchant vessel that left two Indian fishermen dead was an "error of judgement", the Coast Guard on Friday said.
The vessel, Enrica Lexie, had not reported the incident. It was the coastal police at Neendakara in Kollam district which reported the incident to the Coast Guard and search operations were launched, Inspector General SPS Basra, Regional Commander of Coast Guard Region (West), told reporters here.
The vessel was in the Indian Exclusive Zone when the incident occurred on Wednesday, he said.
"It was an error of judgement on the part of the vessel", he said, adding, firing on unarmed fishermen was not correct.
"They (Italian vessel) had taken some time to accept the case. FIR has been registered and police was investigating the case," he said when asked about the reported delay in taking action against the erring vessel.
On the explanation by the Italian vessel that they had opened fire suspecting the fishermen to be pirates, he said, "Any incident of piracy has to be immediately reported to the Coast Guard. They have not done it. They informed over two and
a half hours later", Basra said.
The Mercantile Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC) has done a commendable job, he said.
The Italian ship has stated that they had sighted a "suspicious" boat off Alapuzha on February 15 at about 1600 hours at 2.8 nautical miles closing in.
The boat was "warned" flashing search lights and displaying weapons but it continued the chase and closed in up to 100 metres. The security team of the ship sighted six persons and fired warning shots, it stated.
The crew informed the owners and sent Ship Security Alert System. The master sounded alarm and the boat aborted the chase, it was further stated.
Basra said the Italian ship`s version was that after the master sounded alarm, the fishing boat aborted the chase.
Italian warship `Grecale` contacted the vessel. By 16.30 hours the situation was under control and at about 17.00 hours the alert was called off.
During preliminary interrogation, the vessel confirmed presence of six armed Italian Navy Guards on its board, the Coast Guard said.
Coastguard said the vessel was brought to Kochi anchorage on February 15 at about 22.36 hours and a team consisting of Indian Navy, Coast Guard and police interrogated crew members. A team of Enforcement Directorate had also boarded the vessel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset