First medical college under SC-ST dept in Palakkad
Palakkad: Foundation stone was on Monday laid for the first medical college under the Scheduled Caste-Scheduled Tribes Department here by Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Stating that this was the first medical college run by the SC-ST Department in the country, Chandy said the UDF government gave top priority to the health care and educational needs of backward areas in the state.
He said the medical college would start functioning from the next academic year as attached to the district hospital here. The institution would be shifted to the new campus at Kizhakke Yakkara after the work is completed there, he said.
SC-ST Welfare Minister A P Anil Kumar said the SC-ST Department had made an initial budgetary allocation of Rs 50 crore and a special allotment of Rs 5 crore by the government for developing the campus at the 78-acre campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan