First medical college under SC-ST dept in Palakkad
Palakkad: Foundation stone was on Monday laid for the first medical college under the Scheduled Caste-Scheduled Tribes Department here by Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Stating that this was the first medical college run by the SC-ST Department in the country, Chandy said the UDF government gave top priority to the health care and educational needs of backward areas in the state.
He said the medical college would start functioning from the next academic year as attached to the district hospital here. The institution would be shifted to the new campus at Kizhakke Yakkara after the work is completed there, he said.
SC-ST Welfare Minister A P Anil Kumar said the SC-ST Department had made an initial budgetary allocation of Rs 50 crore and a special allotment of Rs 5 crore by the government for developing the campus at the 78-acre campus.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'