First medical college under SC-ST dept in Palakkad
Palakkad: Foundation stone was on Monday laid for the first medical college under the Scheduled Caste-Scheduled Tribes Department here by Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Stating that this was the first medical college run by the SC-ST Department in the country, Chandy said the UDF government gave top priority to the health care and educational needs of backward areas in the state.
He said the medical college would start functioning from the next academic year as attached to the district hospital here. The institution would be shifted to the new campus at Kizhakke Yakkara after the work is completed there, he said.
SC-ST Welfare Minister A P Anil Kumar said the SC-ST Department had made an initial budgetary allocation of Rs 50 crore and a special allotment of Rs 5 crore by the government for developing the campus at the 78-acre campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police