Fishermen killing: 14 days JC to Italian marines
Kollam: Two Italian marines charged with
murder in connection with the killing of two Indian fishermen,
were on Monday remanded in judicial custody for 14 days by a court
here and sent to the Central Prison at Thiruvananthapuram.
The marines, Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone,
were produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate A K Gopakumar
as their police custody ended this afternoon.
The court turned down their plea that they should be
given all privileges in prison enjoyed by military officials
as Italian government still considered them as military
officials. The Magistrate said that under Indian law, there
was no provision to accord such special privilege.
The court, however, directed the prison authorities not
to lodge them along with other prisoners and to provide them
medical facilities. They should also be allowed to interact
with Italian visitors one hour every day between 10 am and 1
On their plea that they be given special accommodation
outside the prison, the Magistrate said it was not within the
purview of the court to consider.
However, the court said if the ADGP (Prison) thought it
necessary, he could take a decision after consulting the state
government and taking into account the security aspects.
The court permitted the prosecution`s request to seek the
services of the experts of the Mercantile Marine Department
to inspect the electronic equipment on the ship Enrica Lexie
from which the fishermen were fired at while they were fishing
in a boat along with nine others.
The court asked prison authorities to arrange for Italian
food for the marines during their stay in prison.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city