Fishermen killing: Italian Defence Minister arrives in Kochi
Kochi: Italian Defence Minister Giampaolo Di Paola arrived here Saturdsy night to meet the two Italian marines who are facing criminal trial in a Kerala court in connection with the shooting to death of two Indian fishermen off the state`s coast in February.
Di Paola, who arrived from Afghanistan, was accompanied by a delegation, police said.
The minister, on his second visit to the state this year, is likely to meet marines Massimiliano Latore and Salvatore Girone, currently out on bail here, either tonight or tomorrow morning, sources said.
Italy has been pressing India for the early release of the two marines who have been charged with the killing of fishermen Ajesh Binki and Jelastine off Alapzuha coast.
The marines, who were onboard Italian merchant vessel Enrica Lexie, have maintained that they opened fire on the fishermen mistaking them for pirates. The incident had led to a diplomatic row between the two nations.
The two had yesterday moved the Kerala High Court seeking relaxation of bail conditions for visiting their homes to celebrate Christmas with their families in Italy.
Their petitions will come up for hearing on Tuesday.
Italy had summoned India`s ambassador to insist that the Indian Supreme Court issue a decision soon on the marines.
Di Paola during his previous visit to the state had met Chief Minsiter Oommen Chandy and demanded that the government extend the courtesy and rights due to prisoners of war to the marines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today