Fishermen killing: Italian Defence Minister arrives in Kochi
Kochi: Italian Defence Minister Giampaolo Di Paola arrived here Saturdsy night to meet the two Italian marines who are facing criminal trial in a Kerala court in connection with the shooting to death of two Indian fishermen off the state`s coast in February.
Di Paola, who arrived from Afghanistan, was accompanied by a delegation, police said.
The minister, on his second visit to the state this year, is likely to meet marines Massimiliano Latore and Salvatore Girone, currently out on bail here, either tonight or tomorrow morning, sources said.
Italy has been pressing India for the early release of the two marines who have been charged with the killing of fishermen Ajesh Binki and Jelastine off Alapzuha coast.
The marines, who were onboard Italian merchant vessel Enrica Lexie, have maintained that they opened fire on the fishermen mistaking them for pirates. The incident had led to a diplomatic row between the two nations.
The two had yesterday moved the Kerala High Court seeking relaxation of bail conditions for visiting their homes to celebrate Christmas with their families in Italy.
Their petitions will come up for hearing on Tuesday.
Italy had summoned India`s ambassador to insist that the Indian Supreme Court issue a decision soon on the marines.
Di Paola during his previous visit to the state had met Chief Minsiter Oommen Chandy and demanded that the government extend the courtesy and rights due to prisoners of war to the marines.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says