Fishermen killing: Italian marines granted bail
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Wednesday granted bail to two Italian marines accused of shooting dead two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15.
The court granted bail to Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone on a surety of Rs one crore each. Also, two Indians will have to stand as surety for the Italians. The court also directed them to not leave the jurisdiction of the Kochi Police Commissioner, till further orders.
The Italian government has also assured the court that the accused will not flee from the country, tamper with evidence or intimidate the witnesses, reports said.
They will now stand trial under Sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 427 (causing damage or loss) and 34 (acting in common intention).
The Kerala government had earlier opposed the bail pleas of two Italian marines arguing that if they are released on bail at this stage, their presence cannot be procured.
However, in a softening of stand, the state government today said that strict conditions be imposed on the marines if they were to be granted bail.
The marines had contended that they had not committed any offence as alleged by police and that there was no justification in continuing their custody.
The High Court had earlier termed the shooting as `cruel` and `brutal` and hence it can be inferred that they (marines) did so on their own. "Shooting cannot be said to be an act of sovereign function and the marines are not entitled to sovereign immunity," it said.
Earlier, their bail plea was rejected by a lower court in Kollam.
The naval guards onboard Italian oil tanker `Enrica Lexie` were arrested on February 19 and charged with murder of fishermen Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Binki, who took to sea from Neendakara in Kollam, after they fired at them apparently mistaking them for pirates.
The marines, lodged in central prison, Thiruvananthapuram since March 5, were recently shifted to Borstal school, which houses juvenile delinquents, in Kochi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe