Fishermen killing: ‘Italy offers Rs 1 cr compensation`
Kochi: The Italian authorities have offered to give compensation amounting to Rs one crore to families of two Indian fishermen who were killed two months ago by two Italian marines, reports said on Friday.
The reports suggest that Italy`s Defence Secretary had an extensive meeting with the families and the ship company, following which an out-of-court settlement agreement was reached.
Two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki, 25, and Gelastine, 45, were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead by the two security crew of cargo vessel Enrica Lexie on February 15, about 14 nautical miles off Alappuzha in Kerala.
Four close family members of the two jailed Italian marines in Kerala, arrested in February this year, visited them in Trivandrum Central Prison on Thursday.
Latorre Massimillano and Salvatore Girone are in judicial custody since February 20 and their remand period has now been extended till April 30 by a court in Kollam, where the murder case was registered.
Three ministers from Italy had earlier visited the duo and even Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti is understood to have spoken to them over phone.
The owners of the ship have now moved the Supreme Court for their release after the Kerala High Court asked the court in Kollam to decide if the ship needs to be let off after they furnished a security.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read