Fishermen killing: NIA to question Italian witnesses through video conferencing
New Delhi: NIA is likely to question four Italian marines, who were witness to the killing of two fishermen off Kerala coast in 2012, through video conferencing after their refusal to come to India for deposition and Home Ministry`s reluctance to send any team to Rome to quiz them.
Notwithstanding India`s consistent request to send the witnesses, Italy has made it clear that the four will not go to India to appear before investigators in connection with the case in which two Italian marines are accused.
After Italy`s refusal, the Home Ministry has sought the opinion of the Attorney General to suggest the way forward.
With the top law officer advising the government against sending a National Investigation Agency (NIA) team to Italy, the Ministry is left with the only option of questioning the four witnesses through video conferencing after getting a Letters Rogatory from a court.
Official sources said the witnesses may be called to the Indian Embassy in Rome from where the four will appear before the investigators for questioning through video conferencing in presence of a magistrate.
Indian investigators in the past have questioned foreign witnesses through video conferencing. A witness was questioned by CBI through video conferencing in the 1995 urea scam from Indian High Commission in London.
India has already conveyed to Italy that delay in questioning the witnesses is only jeopardising the future of Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, accused of shooting dead two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast on February 15, 2012. Both the accused are now lodged in the Italian Embassy here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM