Fissures in Congress` Kerala unit over retail FDI
New Delhi: A war of words has erupted in
Congress in Kerala over the issue of allowing FDI in retail
with a senior MP on Wednesday attacking PCC chief Ramesh Chennithala
for opposing the Centre`s decision while another lawmaker from
the state has come out in his support.
"I am in favour of FDI. If anybody is having a personal
opinion (against FDI), it is his personal opinion," Thrissur
MP P C Chacko told reporters outside Parliament House.
Reacting to a question on Chennithala`s letter to Prime
Minister opposing FDI in retail, Chacko claimed the matter was
not discussed in any party forum in the state.
"It (Chennithala`s view) was not discussed in any party
forum and the party can go only by the decision taken by the
government. Government has taken a decision. Cabinet has taken
a decision and the Congress party will go by that and there
are no two opinions on this issue in the party," Chacko said.
However, Kannur MP K Sudhakaran came out in strong support
of Chennithala saying the KPCC chief took the decision knowing
the "pulse of thousands of retail merchants and party workers"
in the state.
"People of Kerala cannot agree with the Centre`s
decision on FDI. The party cannot agree with it. It will
erode our support base because majority of retail merchants
are Congress supporters. The Congress in the state is firm
behind the PCC chief on this issue. We won`t allow the UDF
government to implement it in the state," Sudhakaran said.
"The PCC chief`s was a well thought out decision after
understanding the pulse of the people and party workers. We
cannot push our supporters in a crisis. No true Congress
worker from Kerala can question his decision on this issue,"
Sudhakaran alleged that the central government took the
decision on FDI "in a hurry" without discussing it even with
party leaders and MPs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly