Fissures in Congress` Kerala unit over retail FDI
New Delhi: A war of words has erupted in
Congress in Kerala over the issue of allowing FDI in retail
with a senior MP on Wednesday attacking PCC chief Ramesh Chennithala
for opposing the Centre`s decision while another lawmaker from
the state has come out in his support.
"I am in favour of FDI. If anybody is having a personal
opinion (against FDI), it is his personal opinion," Thrissur
MP P C Chacko told reporters outside Parliament House.
Reacting to a question on Chennithala`s letter to Prime
Minister opposing FDI in retail, Chacko claimed the matter was
not discussed in any party forum in the state.
"It (Chennithala`s view) was not discussed in any party
forum and the party can go only by the decision taken by the
government. Government has taken a decision. Cabinet has taken
a decision and the Congress party will go by that and there
are no two opinions on this issue in the party," Chacko said.
However, Kannur MP K Sudhakaran came out in strong support
of Chennithala saying the KPCC chief took the decision knowing
the "pulse of thousands of retail merchants and party workers"
in the state.
"People of Kerala cannot agree with the Centre`s
decision on FDI. The party cannot agree with it. It will
erode our support base because majority of retail merchants
are Congress supporters. The Congress in the state is firm
behind the PCC chief on this issue. We won`t allow the UDF
government to implement it in the state," Sudhakaran said.
"The PCC chief`s was a well thought out decision after
understanding the pulse of the people and party workers. We
cannot push our supporters in a crisis. No true Congress
worker from Kerala can question his decision on this issue,"
Sudhakaran alleged that the central government took the
decision on FDI "in a hurry" without discussing it even with
party leaders and MPs.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister