Flash light confuses Sabari pilgrims
Sabarimala: A flash light seen over a hill
across the Sabarimala temple, believed to have come from a
high power torch in the nearby forests, created confusion
among pilgrims who had converged at the Lord Ayyappa temple on
the eve of `Makaravilakku`.
As the fluorescent light flashed repeatedly, the devotees
mistook it as `Makaravilakku` and started chanting `sarana
mantras` with folded hands from all around the shrine. For a
while, the temple authorities too were baffled but soon
announced through loud speakers that it was not
Police and Travancore Deveswom Board (TDB), which manages
the temple, has begun investigations to ascertain whether it
was a mischievous attempt by some vested interests to bluff
devotees and cast the temple authorities in poor shade or it
was caused during surveillance by the forest guards.
ADGP P Chandrasekharan, in charge of Sabarimala, said an
inquiry has begun to find out whether it was the handiwork of
mischief-makers or flashed by forest guards.
TDB president M Rajagopalan Nair told reporters here that
from the fluorescence of the light and the way it was flashed
it appeared to be coming from a high power torch, like the one
used by forest guards and Eco-Development Committee
However, as soon as this happened some vested interests
started passing the word that it was `Makaravilakku` to create
confusion and cast the temple authorities in poor light, he
"This certainly is a heinous attempt and they would have
to suffer the consequences," Nair said. MORE PTI NM RC
Bombs recovered from CPI(M) party office
Krishnagar (WB), Jan 15 (PTI) Police recovered three hand
made bombs from Gokulpur CPI(M) party office in Nadia under
Gayeshpur municipality today and detained two persons for
A few CPI(M) workers who came to unlock the party office
at around 11am, were challenged by some Trinamool Congress
activists who had gathered there. The latter demanded the
office should be opened in front of them as they had suspected
that there were bombs and firearms stored inside, police said.
Most of the CPI(M) workers left the place soon after.
But the local CPI(M) leader Bidhu Bhushan Das, who was on
spot, came under pressure from the Trinamool workers to open
the party office. Tension prevailed in the area and the
Kalyani police was informed, police said.
The party office was kept under lock and key since
May 13 last year. Das stated that the keys were not with him.
Police told Das to break open the lock. When the door was
opened, three bombs were found inside the party office,
Police detained Bidhubhushan Das and another person for
Gayeshpur Municipality is controlled by CPI(M) and all 18
councillors were elected from CPI(M) in the last municipality
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`